Sunflower Foundation > What We Do > Healthy Living & Active Communities > Overview
Healthy communities lead to healthy Kansans
The Sunflower Foundation’s Healthy Living and Active Communities program seeks to help all Kansans find opportunities for healthier lives through education, lifestyle choices and environmental factors (physical, cultural and social).
In order to achieve this goal, the foundation works within the following areas:
- Promotion and support of the built environment concept. The built environment refers to the human-made structures, systems and surroundings that enable individuals to make "the healthy choice, the easy choice," especially in regards to nutrition and physical activity. Examples include being able to walk or bike safely through town, or the ability to purchase affordable fresh produce. The built environment can directly affect the ways in which people from all backgrounds can live, work and play.
- The Built Environment and the Outdoors Summit serves as a statewide convening and collaborative effort for built environment advocates.
- The Sunflower Trails program partners with communities and schools across the state to create safe, accessible pathways for outdoor physical activity for all ages and abilities.
- Sunflower Trails assists in the construction, expansion, enhancement and connection of trails through regular grant cycles.
- Sunflower Trails supports the work of leading trail organizations in Kansas and provides opportunities for training and instruction for trail advocates of all levels.
Current funding opportunities